Students may choose to opt for Strategic Communication, Digital Media, Latinos and Media, or Global Media concentrations.
Students in the Strategic Communication concentration will gain skills in the areas such as international advertising and public relations, strategic communication campaigns and media management. Typically, these students are trained to function in a global market and seek positions such as communication directors, managers in media organizations, public relations officers in companies.
Take at least one of the following courses:
(1) MC5308--Seminar in Ad & PR Issues
(2) MC5322--International Ad and PR Issues
(3) MC5326--Strategic Communication Campaigns (Prerequisite~MC5308)
In addition take at least two of the following courses:
(1) MC5314--Strategies in Media Management
(2) MC5315--Creative Problem Solving
(3) MC5324--Media Writing (Print or PR emphasis)
(4) MC5310—International Communication
(5) MC5304T--Health Communication Campaigns
(6) MC5325—Music Marketing and Media
Students taking the Digital Media concentration focus on acquiring online media and writing skills. They learn how to apply digital media theories in strategically communicating via new media such as the Internet and mobile devices. Students have the opportunity to participate in the interactive segment of the SXSW conference and provide their own take on this award-winning web site: SXTXState.com
. They may also participate in an international journalism symposium that takes place in Austin. Learn more about the curriculum on the Digital Media Graduate Concentration website
Take any three of the following courses:
(1) MC 5301 – Mass Media and Society
(2) MC 5312 – Online Media Design
(3) MC5317 – Advanced Online Media
(4) MC5324 – Writing
Latinos and Media
Students in the Latinos and Media concentration learn the skills of understanding, communicating with and marketing to the country’s more than 50 million Latino people as well as the Latino population around the globe.
Take the following course:
(1) MC5321—Latinos and Media
In addition take any two of the following courses:
(1) MC5319--Mass Media and Politics
(2) MC5325--Music Marketing and Media
(3) MC5310--International Communication Issues
Students in the Global Media concentration will focus on gaining knowledge in the area of global media and communication that will enable them to effectively function in our complex global society. Whether students work in organizations right here in Central Texas or work outside the state/country they are in a global environment that requires communicating with audiences worldwide.
Take the following course:
(1) MC5310--International Communication
Take any two of the following courses:
(1) MC5322--International Ad/PR
(2) MC5301--Mass Media and Society
(3) MC5330--Internship in an international/multinational company in the US or in a company abroad (consent of Graduate Advisor needed)
(4) Study Abroad (consent of Graduate Advisor needed)
(5) One graduate-level, three-hour course with international content outside the department (consent of Graduate Advisor needed)
• Students may declare only one concentration.
• Students do not have to declare a concentration if they do not wish to.
• Some courses are not offered each semester.
• Some courses may also be offered at the Round Rock campus.
• Students must plan their program in consultation with the Graduate Advisor.