Office: OM 204
MC3321 - News Writing and Reporting I
MC3383 - Editing for Clear Communication (online and face-to-face)
MC3374 - Information Gathering and Analysis
MC1313 - Writing for the Mass Media
US1100 – University Seminar
Elizabeth Cernota Clark, senior lecturer, began her journalism career at the Chicago Daily News in the early 1970s, when journalism jobs were opening to more women and minorities, and dramatic changes were taking place within the newspaper industry. Computers began replacing typewriters in the newsroom, and technology was changing the printing process.
Since then, she has worked as a staff reporter, editor, freelance writer/editor and college instructor. She has taught in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication since 2008.
Clark holds a master of journalism degree from the Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism at the University of North Texas (2002). She earned a bachelor of arts degree in English literature and composition from Knox College, Galesburg, Ill.
At Texas State she served as director of Mass Comm Week 2013, ‘14 and ’15 and is campus test monitor for the annual Dow Jones News Fund college internships tests. In Spring 2015 she received an Excellence in Online Teaching award from the Office of Distance and Extended Learning. As a member of the American Copy Editors Society, she has made two presentations at national conferences. She has also presented for the international conference of GWA: The Association for Garden Communicators.
Clark previously served as adviser to The News Argus, student-run campus newspaper of Winston-Salem State University in Winston-Salem, N.C., where she taught in the Department of Mass Communications. She has also taught in the English composition program at Texas Lutheran University, Seguin; the Program in Mass Communications at Texas Woman’s University-Denton, where she advised The Lasso campus newspaper; and the Department of Journalism, University of North Texas-Denton.
She is a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, American Copy Editors Society, Investigative Reporters & Editors, and the international Garden Writers Association.
Her articles and photos have won regional and national awards from the Texas Nursing Home Association, The Associated Press, United Press International and Garden Writers Association. Her work has appeared online and in print:
- Online: philanthropyjournal.com, yardcare.com (The Toro Co.), Hearst and Belo corporations media properties, neilsperry.com e-newsletter.
- Newspapers: Christian Science Monitor, San Antonio Express-News, Dallas Morning News, Dallas Times Herald, Denton Record-Chronicle (Lifestyle editor), Lewisville (Texas) News-Advertiser (news reporter), Southtown Economist-Chicago (education reporter and Homes section editor) and Chicago Daily News (editorial assistant).
- Magazines: Horticulture, Carolina Gardener (associate editor), Neil Sperry's Gardens (editor), Texas Gardener, Dallas-Fort Worth Home.
- Book chapters:
- “San Antonio: Our Story of 150 Years in the Alamo City” (Witte Museum entry), San Antonio Express-News/Trinity University, 2015.
- Encyclopedia of Gardens: History and Design (Chicago Botanic Garden, 2001), the gardens at Milotice, Czech Republic.
- “Growing Fruits and Vegetables Organically” (Rodale Press, 1994), three chapters.
- Green industry trade publications: Hines Nurseries, Lowes Home Improvement, Target Stores, Conard-Pyle (Servistar Roses), Horticultural Printers Ltd.